Graduation Year: 2011
Post-Graduation: Plan: USMLE
Job Title (other): House Officer
Work Place: Khartoum teaching hospital
Has thanked: 0

A QUICK GUIDE FOR NEW HMC RESIDENCY APPLICANTS

Unread post by nasir »

A QUICK GUIDE FOR NEW HMC RESIDENCY APPLICANTS
I think that most of the residents, like me are getting a lot of personal msgs, n everyone is asking almost about the same details, the repetition is to the extent that sometimes I just have to copy paste my answers, so I thought of compiling all the info here to make it less confusing. All the senior residents are requested to add any other info, that I missed, or correct anything if required.
Disclaimer:
The information provided is correct at the time of writing, (hopefully  ) n may not remain valid afterwards. We will try to update the info, but there are no guarantees. Always recheck the information from some authentic n official source. :p

How to apply?
Pre-rquisites:
1. 1 yr internship ( rotating or staraight) preferably done within 3 yrs of graduation
2. Step 2 ck/ ifom-------pass
3. Toefl > 80 or islets> 7 bands
You will have to submit your documents by hand or by mail to the medical education dept. of HMC
When to apply?
Usually every yr from the start of august ---- end of nov. Preferrably you should have all the documents ready for application by the end of October, so that if there is a sudden change in the date of application, you donot suffer. Incomplete applications are not entertained, which means that not only the exams should be taken but also you should have all the results in your hand.
Those who have the RP or visa already, might get an edge n it really helps if you are able to get a clinical attachment in the same department, you want to do your residency at.
AFTER APPLICATION:
After a long wait, you will get an email from HMC medical education if u are being called for interviews. Unfortunately if you haven’t been selected, usually there is no correspondence at all. N there have been cases where email was misplaced or not sent because of some error, so its better to re-check with them.

INTERVIEWS:
The interviews are easy. They donot check the knowledge u have, they just simply check your commitment to your specialty, n to HMC, and your confidence.
The questions you should be prepared to answer include:

1. Tell us something about urself
2. Why did u opt for Qatar?
3. Why HMC?
4. Why anesthesia or medicine or whatever ur specialty is?
5. Why should we hire you?
6. Your academic life till now? Interesting case you handled
7. Proficiency in Arabic
8. Career plans/future plans after residency/ where do u c urself after 5 yrs
9. Present work
10. What if u don’t get selected?
11. How do u update urself? Cme, pubmed, Cochrane. know the names of a few journals of ur field
12. What do you do in your spare time?
13. your strengths/ your weaknesses
14. the strengths n weaknesses of program u applied for
15. Any mistake you made
16. a few ethical questions esp regarding consent, confidentiality, medical error, negligence of ur senior, language problems in clinical situations, conflict resolution
17. know the terminology pt centric approach, biopsychsocial model, continued medical education
18. a few basic clinical questions esp clinical emergencies
19. describe ur best day
20. how do u make a decision
21. tell us a joke or why did u become a doctor be prepared to answer such unusual ones.

Tips: Practice a lot with your fellow colleagues, in English. N just don’t be nervous.

RESULTS:
Results are usually uploaded in a day or 2. Unfortunately, if u haven’t been selected, n u r really dedicated to ur field, wait for a yr n re-apply…otherwise immediately make sure you get a second chance in some other field.
If u are one of the lucky guys, then suffer another long wait, n u will be approached by HR

PAY: ( this is just my understanding as I haven’t seen other offers to other categories. Its just a rough estimate…)
Basic salary(QR 12300) +professional allowance (15% of basic pay) + transport allowance (QR 1250) +
Accomodation/ house rent (rent QR 6000 approx if married, 3000 approx if unmarried) + ticket for joining n 1 annual leave n repatriation ( only yourself if female; yourself, spouse n 3 children if male)
School assistance for 3 childrens (only to males)
40 day annual leave.
(NOT SURE ABOUT ALL THE SEGMENTS)

RECOGNITION OF RESIDENCY PROGRAMS:
Arab board is recognized in GCC, n at present not recognized in Pakistan, .HMC plans to get acgme i accreditation, n after that things might get a bit easier but still US fellowships are offered to those who do their residencies from acgme accredited hospitals( not acgme-i) So after u r done from here, either u can settle here or somewhere in GCC countries, or u will have to have some international examslike MRCP/ MRCPCH/MCEM to get some validation. However I am still not sure about any of this info.
A FEW USEFUL LINKS:
How to apply for step 2 ck: http://www.usmle.org/apply/
How to apply for ifom via prometric: http://www.nbme.org/Schools/iFoM/index.html
HMC’S O fficial website: http://www.hmc.org.qa/en/ the link is currently under construction, so no info is currently available for residency program. Also its not frequently updated, so call hmc med education if u r in urgent need of some info.
Recommended USMLE Forum, that will help u while studyingfor ck or ifom: http://www.usmle-forums.com/
HMC medical education contact no: Tel: 00974-44391743
HMC Human resource contact no: 00974-44391930
These users thanked the author nasir for the post (total 2):
mayada ahmedmoh shaikh
um-abdallah
Going Well
Going Well
University & College: U of K, MBBS
Country & City: Khartoum
Graduation Year: 2005
Post-Graduation: planning to become a physician-MRCP
Job Title (other): Medical officer